Since I’m a school nurse, this time of year is a hectic one. This was “the first week back with kids.” That means the students have returned to classes, and the staff has returned to the hard work of educating and caring for them. For me specifically, this means coordinating their health care.
This week, that included such things as:
- Receiving doctor’s orders for the many students to whom I administer medications during the school day
- Receiving and organizing medications such as inhalers and pills, to be given during the school day
- Checking about 80 students for head lice (and yes, finding some)
- Doing G-tube feedings for a medically fragile student
- Tending to bumps and bruises from kids getting their “recess legs” back
- Managing our many asthmatic students on today’s Air Quality Health Alert Day (many students can’t participate in outdoor play)
In addition to being the school nurse, I am a parent – both my kids attend my school. So I also had responsibilities such as Parent Orientation Night and signing paperwork for their teachers, and of course carting them with me to school and back and helping with homework. I somehow still managed to get 2 runs in this week though!
Friday afternoon has finally come, and I thought I should go run. But…
I know what’s good for me.